<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Thursday, June 03, 2004

It's A Fine Day for a Bra Burning

On Tuesday, I was walking down Broadway to Inwood library when a perv started following me. He mumbled that he was going "to rock my world" and nasty stuff about redheads. That hasn't happened to me in a while. Nothing repels pervs more than a baby stroller.

I would like to say that I turned around and kicked him the groin, but I didn't. I just walked extra fast into the library, which just enraged him and he began mumbling threats.

I'm still mad that I didn't do the groin kick or at least throw a few choice profanities. Why didn't I? I don't know. He was bigger than I was. I wasn't prepared. I didn't want to create a scene.

Sunday NY Times magazine had an article on teenagers and hooking up. Apparently, teenagers today are avoiding dating and instead looking in chat rooms for sex partners. Even more disturbing than slutty teenagers is the fact that most of the hooking up involves girls servicing the guys. Here, read Belle Waring's take on it.

You know, feminism has taken a lot of hits in recent years. Sometimes even from me. But I think during times like this, we could stand a little bra burning. More empowerment. More angry chicks.

The backlash against feminism has meant a loss of the many good things about this movement. Young teenage girls should be standing up for themselves. And so should I.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >