<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I'm Humming Oklahoma in the Shower

OK. Just admit it, Laura. You like show tunes. Sure you've moshed at CBGBs, but you have also taught your kids the words to "Pore Jud Is Daid."

Yeah. It's true. My parents had three kids in four years, while my dad was busy getting tenure, so I was shipped over to my grandparents' apartment a lot when I was young. When I was there, my grandma played the songtrack to South Pacific or Oklahoma. In the evenings, we would watch Holiday Inn or Singing in the Rain. I used to have a big crush on Gene Kelly.

Steve and I watched the AFI's top 100 film songs last night, and I hummed along to most of them.

I just noticed that Dan Drezner is outraged by the omissions on the list and by all the corny ballads in the top twenty. I'm totally with him on that. And the soundtrack to Pulp Fiction is the best.

My own partial list of glaring omissions:
Anything from O Brother, Where Art Thou?, like Down In The River To Pray, Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby, or I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow.
Younger Than Springtime from South Pacific (1958 Film Soundtrack)
Linda Ronstadt in Gilbert & Sullivan - The Pirates of Penzance
Oh, What a Beautiful Morning from Oklahoma! (1955 Film Soundtrack)
I'm So Tired, by Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles.
Shout from Animal House [Getting too tired to do the linky-linky thing.]

If you weed out the Streisand, Julie Andrews, there are still some damn good songs on the list that deserve to be heard outside of some piano bar in the Village. Grandma would have approved of: As Time Goes By, I Could Have Danced All Night, Cabaret, Somewhere, Ol' Man River, Some Enchanted Evening, I Got Rhythm, Yankee Doodle Boy. I was pleased to see: Stayin' Alive, Come What May from Molin Rouge, and Rainbow Connection.

I've heard that the new Cole Porter movie is getting mixed reviews, but it should have a good soundtrack with songs by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >