<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Jury Duty

A quick interruption in "all nannies all the time" here at Apt. 11D. I went downtown today to get out of doing my civic duty. I had been called up to serve on a special grand jury -- those are for high profile cases that go on for 5 or 6 months.

Waiting outside the marbled halls of justice today were 7 white media trucks all with huge satellite dishes. Under a tent, 30 or more cameras were all trained at the front door of the court house. They were waiting for Martha Stewart to come out and walk to her limo at 5:15. They had been out there for weeks just to get that 10 second shot. I asked one of the clerks if she had ever seen anything like this. She said no.

You know I feel bad for Martha. (Yeah, I'm probably the only person out there who does, but I can't help it. I'm an old softy.) It's hubris. It's Oedipus. It's a Greek tragedy. Someone who has everything but forgets that they are human and loses it all. Why are people more willing to forgive Clinton's act of hubris, but not Martha's?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >