<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

A Tuesday

Finding a quiet place to work continues to be a challenge. Yesterday, because I had five hours of babysitting time, I was able to go downtown to the public library. The Mid Manhattan Library is usually okay as long as you're not sitting next to a homeless man.

Today, I had to stick around the neighborhood. I first tried to read sitting on my bed, but after three minutes, I saw a little eye watching me through a crack in the door. One minute later, he was dragged down the hall by the babysitter as he screamed in anguish. Jonah ran in to get approval on something that Angela has disapproved.

This whole business of working at home lasted 15 minutes.

A few years ago, I read an article by a writer for the Times. She said that by working full time at home with a sitter, she could still be "available" for her kids. Well, I'm way too available around here to get any work done.

I went downstairs to the coffee shop, The Monkey Room, where I did an interview with Jessica who runs the local support group for moms. After an hour, I moved on to Starbucks to work on another project. Starbucks, I thought, might have better lighting and better heating.

Nursing my fifth cup of coffee, I read about how little value is placed on raising kids in divorce procedings. Women who spend their youth raising the kids are completely screwed when the husband the bread winner takes up with a bimbo. I'm thinking about getting a post-nup.

Then home by 4:30. Made dinner. Sent Angela home. 5:00 Fed the kids. Let them watch Clifford. 6:00 Gave them baths. Diapers and PJs. 6:35 Steve came home and fell asleep on the sofa. Milk and 4 stories for the baby. 7:12 Ian dumped in the crib. Milk and applesauce and 4 stories for Jonah. Usually, Steve takes over at this point, but he's snoring, so I read, Baby Einstein: Jane's Animal Expedition, Strega Nona, Giggle, Giggle, Quack, and Olivia 7:40 Steve woke up and carried Jonah to bed.

When they've finished reading, Olivia's mother gives her a kiss and says, "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway," And Olivia gives her a kiss and says, "I love you anyway too."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >