<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Thursday, October 30, 2003

A Cigarette, a Cocktail, and a Tranquilizer

This study came out in the media a few days ago. Children under two are watching two hours of TV a day. Lots of tsk tsking. Some babies have TVs in their room. Well, that's really bad.

I don't know how much TV my kids watch a day. Probably not two hours unless someone is very ill. But still the study freaked me out. The Wiggles are warping the kid's brains! So, our TV has been turned off except for a half an hour at the end of day. Now will someone please tell me how I'm supposed to take a shower and make dinner?

I should really avoid these studies and parenting books. Guilt city.

Last night, after West Wing, I picked up Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique. It's really worth reading. The world has changed a lot since then, but it also hasn't.

One thing that has changed is that the 50s housewife wasn't so freaked out about constantly stimulating their kids. The kids were in the background, as she cleaned her house with a cigarette, a cocktail, and a tranquilizer. Ah, the good old days.

(short post this morning, but a longer one tonight.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >