<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Monday, August 11, 2003

Puttering with Potter

I have only 100 pages left of the latest Harry Potter.

Steve vacated the premises with the kids on Saturday, so I could get stuff done. Yes, I did clean the bathroom and work on the article, darling. Don't be cross. But I couldn't just work on the article the WHOLE time.

Codify Scourgfy I also fixed the code on my sidebar that had gotten wiped out last week. Frustrating, but also fun. I love the symmetry of the quote on one side and the quote on the other, the bracket on one side and the bracket on the other. It's neat. It's tidy. It's anal. How excellent.

You know, I was a computer science major for a couple of semesters back in the mid-1980s. I learned BASIC, Pascal, and Cobol. I even got As, but dropped the major when I hit calculus. I didn't want to have to work that hard.

Idiot. Brainus Emptious It was the mid-80s, the computer industry was just getting going. During my first semester, we still used punch cards to program. I could have gotten a job at Microsoft or Oracle before people logged on to AOL, before hard drives, before CD-ROM, before BLOGGER. I could have gotten a job while those companies were run by dishelved nerds (well, I guess they still are).

From time to time in my life, I come to a crossroad. On one side is money town with clean, black cars and porches with gas grills and on the other side is abject poverty with student loans and walk up apartments. Guess what side I invariably choose. Someone should study me.

Readus Alldayus I also spent most of the weekend reading
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
. Since I've had kids I haven't been able to read as much as I would like. My dad thinks I'm crazy. "Why don't you read a chapter a night like I do?" "Because I don't read like that, dad". When I read a novel, I loose all self control. I have to read until its done pausing only gulp down some stale potato chips. Recognizing this character flaw, I started reading the book over the weekend, so that the children wouldn't be too badly neglected. In fact, I finished the book before I finished this post using up my precious babysitter time. 850 in two days. I wish I could read Hagel that fast.

Susan wanted my review. Fun. Fun. Fun. I liked the surly teenage Harry. I don't know if "it's the best one ever" since I don't remember the others that well, but it was damn good. I give it 5 teenage sneers.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >