<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 

Friday, August 08, 2003

Academic Blogs

I somehow wiped out all the code for my sidebar yesterday. In an attempt to improve my links, I was periodically fiddling with it while watching the kids. One dumb delete must have trashed everything. I'll have to fix it tomorrow.

One of the things I was working on was trying to find blogs by academics. I found a few good ones, but mostly a lot of depressing sites, which dwell on all the woes of professorial life. Here are some good ones:

The Invisible Adjunct
Professors Who Blog
Easily Distracted

How much should I read and write about academic abuses? On the one hand, I have seen and heard and experienced some real horrors, and I would love the opportunity to out the phonies and expose the sadists. I would like to stick a pitchfork into a few idiots. But on the other hand, life is short, and I don't want to waste it being bitter.

Yeah, we can't buy a house now because all our money is going to pay off student loans. Yeah, I only make $5,000 a year teaching two graduate school classes at an Ivy League university. Yeah, the dissertation. But I can't let I lose my sense of humor about life. Steve has moved on to a normal job, and is quite happy. And we have two great kids and live in a cool place. The only thing that picks away at me is the career. What am I going to do when the kids go to school? That's when I get all annoyed about academic life. They might not let me come back after five years of home-life. I'm going to give this academic thing a little longer, and if it doesn't work out, I'll do something else.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? Blogging Mommies # >